Moms are increasingly opting to stay at home with the kids these days which is major shift from the previous generations latch-key kids, where both mom and dad were working out of the house most of the day.
With the increase in work from home jobs made possible by today’s high-tech world there’s a wide variety of work at home jobs moms can choose from. But, which jobs offer the highest pay and lasting income? That’s what we aim to look at in the top 5 legitimate work at home jobs for stay at home moms.
Take An Inventory Of Your Skills
Before going after any job the first thing you should do is take an inventory of your skills.
- Can you type? Is so, how many words per minute?
- Do you have specialized skills such as bookkeeping or photography?
- What kind of previous job experience do you have?
- How long have you been out of the workforce?
These are the kinds of questions you’ll need to answer before considering any type of work at home job.
For some moms, the answers to these questions may lead you to believe that you won’t be able to find anything, but that is far from true.
Identify The Type Of Work You Like
Identifying the type of work you like is important as well. Taking a job where you can work at home shouldn’t mean that you must sacrifice your sanity by working a job that you hate. So ask yourself the question “What type of work do I enjoy doing?”.
If you like doing things like:
You’ll find that there are A LOT of options for you out there. Also, anytime you can do something that other people don’t particularly like to do, you can find work. A good example of that is writing. There are a lot of people looking to outsource writing work.
Choosing a job that you like will not only save your sanity, but you’ll be happier, healthier, and probably end up making more money working at home in the long run.
Before We Get Started
Before we get going on the top 5, let me just say this. I’m not going to bore you with things like:
- Child Care (after all, you’re already doing that and probably don’t want a dozen crying toddlers in your house)
- Surveys (you can spend your time doing things that are a lot more fun and profitable)
- Travel Agents
That’s the kind of stuff you see in those articles like “The Top 20”, and so on.
And I’ll also say that if you have the skills for a good-paying job that you can do at home that you enjoy, like Bookkeeping, Photography, Teaching, etc. by all means do that. I’m not here to try to convince you to do something else unless that’s what you want.
So, with that out of the way, let’s count down to the #1 legitimate work at home jobs for stay at moms.
#5 Selling Items On Etsy
If you’re not familiar with Etsy, it’s one of the top internet sites where people sell handcrafted items, vintage, or custom-made items, and much more.
If you love creating and selling hand-made items or custom designed items, this is the place for you. If you are good at making something, you are sure to find buyers on Etsy.
More than 3 billion dollars US was spent on Etsy in 2017 by 33 million buyers. That’s a lot of people and a lot of money!
Setting up a shop on Etsy is very easy. You simply create an Etsy account (if you don’t already have one), set your shop (your location and local currency), choose a name for your shop, set up a payment method (how you want to be paid), and set up a billing method (how you want to pay your Etsy fees). That’s it.
As of this writing, it only costs .20 US to list an item on Etsy. Selling fees are small, so you don’t lose your profit with high fees. You can check out Etsy here.
Another Way To Make Money With Etsy
Another way you can make money with Etsy is to become an Etsy Affiliate. If you find unique items on Etsy that you want to promote, you can become an Etsy Affiliate and you earn a commission for each item you sell.
We’ll talk more about Affiliate Marketing later.
#4 Selling On eBay
I’m sure you’ve heard of eBay. Selling on eBay is a bit like selling on Etsy except with eBay you can sell to the highest bidder or simply sell with a buy it now price. You also can sell just about anything on eBay (Within reason. Don’t try selling your soul, they’ve caught on to that one).
Easy ways that you can sell on eBay and make money
- Clean house and sell all that junk you got lying around. I’ve done some of this myself and you’ll be surprised to find out what some people will pay for things you thought were just junk! The old saying “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure” definitely applies here.
- Another favorite is flipping items from Yard Sales, Flea Markets, or Thrift Stores. If you love to shop at these venues and find cool things, this is a great way to make money. All you have to do is take a picture of the item(s) and list it on eBay.
One thing about eBay selling you’ll want to pay attention to is your accounts rating. Always make sure your customers have a great experience when buying your products. This means accurate product descriptions and images, prompt shipment, fast response to questions, and handle returns effectively. People pay attention to ratings and reviews and will read what others have to say about their experience with you.
Check out this great article posted on CrazyLister for “49 eBay selling secrets”.
Also, be sure and check eBay’s current Selling Fee’s and Invoicing for the most up to date information.
#3 Become A Virtual Assistant
Working online as a virtual assistant can be a dream job for some and certainly high on our list of legitimate work at home jobs for stay at home moms. The great thing about being a virtual assistant is that you can use your existing qualifications and work experience to build your portfolio of skills.
You can find virtual assistant jobs with many types of requirements. Some may involve doing research, answering emails, making travel arrangements, typing meeting minutes, or any number of different tasks.
The average salary for a Virtual Assistant in the US is anywhere from 28k to 48k per year. A lot depends on exactly what you will be doing. Salary may be higher for positions such as Executive Assistants.
It’s important to understand that being a Virtual Assistant is more than just a virtual secretary. As a virtual assistant, you’re an entrepreneur and a business owner. It’s an important distinction and you should represent yourself as such, as it can lead to much higher-paying jobs.
What are the start-up costs?
Another great thing is that start-up costs are very low. You probably have most everything you’ll need right now.
- Cell phone or Google Voice (free)
- A laptop or desktop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- A decent all-in-one printer w/fax ($79 at BestBuy)
- An email account (Free)
How to get a Virtual Assistant Job
The first thing you’ll need is a resume geared towards a Virtual Assistant type tasks. So, you’ll want to list all the tasks you are capable of, such as:
- Transcribing Meeting Minutes, etc.
- Answering email
- Communication skills
- Computer savvy
- Internet savvy
- Software savvy
- Phone etiquette and netiquette
- Web Design, even WordPress Skills are needed.
These are just a few. List as many skills as you can think of that you have.
Where to find a Virtual Assist Job
There are many websites that list jobs for Virtual Assistants. You have your traditional sites such as Upwork and Freelancer, however, there are many high-quality services out there. You’ll find a short list of quality companies below. You can find more simply by going to Google and searching “Virtual Assistant Jobs”. Be careful to check out each company you consider thoroughly and ensure they have a good reputation.
#2 Freelance Writing
Freelance writers are in high demand. If there is one thing many internet business owners dislike, it’s writing. Writing of all types; articles, technical papers, instructions, pdfs. There’s no end to the type of writing jobs you can find. So if writing is your foray, this could very well the perfect job for you.
Writing jobs can be found in abundance online and at rates of $35 to $45 per hour.
Some of the most common types of writing jobs you’ll find are:
- General Content: Websites need lots of content!
- Blogging: You can write about topics that interest you the most.
- Copywriting: Sales copy is one of the most common types of copywriting you’ll find. Some companies will even train you how to write good sales copy.
- Social Media Posts: Social media is big these days. Companies need people to write content for their social media accounts as well as connect with their customers (somebody has to do it).
Where to get freelance writing jobs
You can many more freelance writing sites by simply going to Google and entering “Freelance writing jobs”. Once again, be sure and check the reputation of any company you plan to work for.
#1 Affiliate Marketing
Our No. 1 legitimate work at home jobs for stay at home moms is Affiliate Marketing. If you aren’t familiar with Affiliate Marketing, it’s simply promoting a company’s product using a special affiliate link. When users click your link, you get a commission on the sale.
This type of marketing has become increasingly popular over the past few years. Why? Because product distributors and retailers have virtually no advertising expense. This is a huge money saver for them. With this method, the affiliates (us) come to them and we (affiliate marketers) market the products in return for a nice commission. Some commissions can be upwards of 75% of the sales price and the retailers are happy to pay for it.
As Affiliate Marketers, we are in the business of helping people. It might be helping people lose weight or helping people find the right golf putter. Most of us start out with something we are passionate about. That way it’s easy to write about and you likely already know a lot about the subject.
How does it work?
- Choose an interest: This is your niche (A Niche Market is a group of individuals having very specific requirements and hence specialized products that fit their needs. In the weight loss supplements market, for example, a niche market would be something like “best weight loss supplements for women over 40”.) It could be anything where you have a specific group of people looking for a specific solution.
- Build a Website: This sounds like a deal-breaker, but these days it’s easy-peasy to build a website. The No. 1 website platform being used today is WordPress. WordPress is free, it installs automatically, there are 1,000’s of free themes and plugins to do just about anything. You can literally create a website with a push of a button. No technical skills needed.
- Attract Visitors: How do you get visitors? You create quality, useful content, that your readers want and need. This content is in the form of a post or article on your website. Once written, articles can bring you visitors for years in evergreen niches. Evergreen is something that will always be needed, like weight loss or hiking boots.
- Earn Revenue: Each time a visitor clicks your link(s) and makes a purchase, you make a commission.
Why is Affiliate Marketing So Great?
There are many reasons, but the best reason is that it earns you passive income. Your website will earn you money while you sleep, while you’re on vacation, all the time. You simply maintain the website by keeping content up to date and fresh. Plus you can have as many websites as you want to create, all making you money.
The second best reason is that you’re helping people. You are providing information and product recommendations that your visitors are looking for. You’re helping them solve a problem or get whatever it is they are needing.
Lastly, If you’re going to be working at home, why not work on your own business, set your own hours, be your own boss, and build something that can provide an income for years to come.
How to get started Affiliate Marketing?
You can get started Affiliate Marketing right away. Below I have listed several free resources found right here on this website that will help you get started. You don’t need any special skills to get started. Simply start reading through the articles and learn how easy it is to get started.
I have many other useful and informative articles here on this website as well. For a full list of articles just click here or at the top of the sidebar.
We reviewed our top 5 legitimate work at home jobs for stay at home moms and any one of these could be a good fit for just about any stay at home mom.
If you want to establish a solid business that allows you the freedom to set your own work hours and generate passive income, Affiliate Marketing is the ticket.
To Your Massive Success,
PS. Please scroll down and leave any questions or comments. I’d love to hear from you.